Secondary School Teacher Hangs Self In Mumias

Suicide Photo | Courtesy

A secondary school teacher is alleged to have committed suicide under unclear circumstances in Shianda area, Mumias East Sub County.

The body of Pius Okumu, aged 45, was found dangling  in his shop on Sunday morning by his employees.

Mr Okumu, a teacher at St Martha’s Mwitoti Secondary school, is said to have been running an Mpesa and a barber shop outlet at the rented premises for the last two years.

Dennis Munyanya, a neighbour to the deceased, told the Standard in an interview that he had spent the better part of Saturday evening with Mr Okumu, adding that the deceased never showed any signs of being disturbed by anything.

“After school, he joined us at the shop when we parted ways and agreed to meet the following day. I was shocked when I received news of his death in the morning,” said Mr Munyanya.

Munyanya disclosed that Mr Okumu was a quiet person who never shared his problems with anybody.

“Mr Okumu is very secretive and maintained his conservative life until his death. I wish he shared his problems with us, we would have been willing to help him,” he said.

Read:Reports Suggest Suicide Mission In Professor Abel Mugenda’s Death

Wilfred Akwiri, his landlord, concurred with Munyanya, saying his tenant [for two years] never intimated to him that he was troubled by anything.

However, according to a source who sought anonymity revealed to the local media that the deceased’ family has a history of committing suicide.

Mumias OCPD Peter Kattam confirmed the incident saying police have launched investigations to the matter.

The deceased’s body was moved to St Mary’s hospital mortuary awaiting postmortem.

Email your news TIPS to or WhatsApp +254708677607. You can also find us on Telegram through

Written by Wycliffe Nyamasege



Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Ksh14 Million Tax Evasion Case Drowns Ruiru-based Platinum Distillers

Mt Kenya Inferno Enters Second Day As Rescue Operations Continue