Safaricom CEO Bob Collymore on Wednesday announced his return to the telco company.
Speaking during the company’s full-year investor briefing, Mr. Collymore, who has been on medical leave since October 2017, noted that he was making good progress in his treatment and hopes to make a return to Nairobi soon.
“I am heading to the last phase of treatment and expect to be back to Nairobi as soon as the doctors feel that my immune system is sufficiently robust to withstand the infection risks that are usually associated with air travel,” he noted during the live address from London.
“In the meantime thank you all for the messages of good will, prayers and visits. I look forward to being back in action in Nairobi,” he added.
.@bobcollymore comments ahead of #SafaricomFYResults release #Twaweza bullish cc @kenyanwalstreet @RichTvAfrica @Asmali77 @michaelj2 @TicToc_Africa @PaulPolman @VodafoneGroup pic.twitter.com/RoT7Z1OmpF
— Aly-Khan Satchu (@alykhansatchu) May 9, 2018
Reports indicated that he had been diagnosed with leukemia but the timing many felt was suspicious as the embattled CEO faced corruption, illegal data sharing and adultery accusations.
At his time of departure, Safaricom was being accused of irregularly awarding a multibillion media advertising tender to Saracen, who is said to have used Transcend Media concepts leaked to it by Safaricom to win the tender.
Taking over from him was Sateesh Kamath, the current Chief Financial Officer.
Do you have a story you want told? Do you know of a sensitive story you would like us to get our hands on? Email your news TIPS to email@example.com