The Ministry of Petroleum and Mining now says no money was lost in the construction of the Kisumu Oil Jetty for which senior Kenya Pipeline Company (KPC) officials are facing charges.
According to the CS John Munyes and PS Andrew Kamau, the project was a Presidential Directive with an approved budget approved by Ministry of Treasury and the KPC Board.
“The project was well executed and delivered within the stipulated timeline and budget with no variation,” reads a statement from the ministry.
This is a major contradiction with the charges against six KPC officials including outgoing managing director Joe Sang who were arraigned in court on Monday for charges including overspend in budget and engaging in a project without prior planning.
The five, Joe Sang (Managing Director), Gloria Khafafa (company secretary), Vincent Cheruiyot (GM supply chain management), Billy Aseka (general manager infrastructure) and Nicholas Gitobu (procurement manager) were released on cash bail.
Sang had earlier indicated that he would not be renewing his term as managing director once it comes to an end next year march.
However, following his arrest, the Ministry of Petroleum and Mining appointed Hudson Andambi as the interim KPC managing director.
Do you have a story you want told? Do you know of a sensitive story you would like us to get our hands on? Email your news TIPS to firstname.lastname@example.org Also WhatsApp 0708677607 with your news tips