Caroline Wanjiru, the owner of the seven storey building that was illegally constructed in Nairobi’s Kayole estate was arrested and charged.
Governor Sonko said that the owner and those who were compromised to give approvals would be brought to book. He said that his administration would not sit back and watch innocent Kenyans trapped in collapsed buildings.
According to Governor Sonko, The owner of the building ignored a demolition notice and went ahead to construct the building without the necessary approvals.
The governor assured Nairobi residents that the said building would be demolished as the famous ‘Sany’ was seen in the area ready to begin the demolition.
The two county officials namely James Macharia Kangaru and Peter Wairagwa Muya have seen been sent home and charged for contravening section 30 of the Physical planning act.
Sonko was alerted by a twitter user who had inquired how the building had been approved.
Alert ? Disaster
Dear @MikeSonko How was this ?APPROVED ⁉️
This building shld be marked ❌ and ?️demolished
How many of such unsafe structures have collapsed resulting in deaths❓
Location: App Bee Centre, Harry's Tavern, towards Kayole.
— Digital Humanitarian (@PhilipOgola) November 22, 2018
Do you have a story you want told? Do you know of a sensitive story you would like us to get our hands on? Email your news TIPS to firstname.lastname@example.org