Speaking to Mbaitu FM, the former Vice President said that he was well prepared for the ceremony until the government asked his guards back to camp in what he said was a ‘tactical’ move.
Moses Wetangula and Musalia Mudavadi’s security teams were also withdrawn ahead of the ‘oath’ taking ceremony.
”I was at my house in Karen when a police lorry came very early and took all my bodyguards, there is no way I could have made it to Uhuru Park, I wish Kenyans could understand what we are going through,” Kalonzo said.
He reiterated that he is ready to take the ‘oath’ and his absence yesterday (Tuesday) should not be interpreted to mean that he had changed his mind.
The NASA brigade, he says will meet to discuss the way forward, insisting that they are united in fighting for Kenya.
”We talked with my colleagues Musalia Mudavadi and Moses Wetangula and when it was clear we won’t make it we asked Raila to proceed, we are very united. Jubilee remains illegitimate government and we will do everything possible to get electoral justice,” he said, adding that they will also set a new date for his ‘oath’ taking as the People’s Deputy President.
Earlier on, gunmen are said to have hurled a grenade at his Karen home.
Nairobi DCI commander, Ireri Kamwende and a team from Bomb Detection Unit are on site.
Do you have a story you want told? Do you know of a sensitive story you would like us to get our hands on? Email your news TIPS to firstname.lastname@example.org