Gor Mahia hosts their arch rivals AFC Leopards on Saturday in the Mashemeji Derby at the Moi International Centre Kasarani from 4.00pm local time.
This will be the 84th meeting between the two eternal enemies in the Kenyan Premier League since 1968 when Gor Mahia was formed.
Leopards, who came to being four years earlier, boast superior head to head record with 27 wins against Gor’s 25 with the rest meets ending in draws.
However, Ingwe, as Leopards are nicknamed are winless over their in-laws since edging them out 1-0 on 6 March 2016. The lone goal courtesy of Lamine Dialo ended Gor’s unbeaten run of over 40 matches.
K’Ogalo have since won three of the last four battles including the most recent on 22 July 2018 which ended 2-1 in their favor.
The two teams have met 14 times at the Kasarani Stadium with Leopards recording 4 wins against Gor Mahia’s 3.
In 83 previous meetings in the league, 149 goals have been celebrated, 75 by Leopards, one more than Gor’s tally.
14 games have ended in 2-1 score line while the most common score line is 1-0 which has been recorded 24 times.
Three players have scored an own goal in the Mashemeji Derby. The last one was scored by Nkana FC defender Musa Mohammed when Leopards and Gor settled for a 1-1 draw on 27 August 2017.
The other players to score an own goal in the Kenya’s biggest football rivalry are Allan Huma who scored in favor of Gor in 2009 and Hamisi Shamba who netted in favor of Leopards in 1981.
Some fact-files on the derby:
– First derby: 05 May 1968 won by Gor Mahia
– First derby goal scorer for Gor Mahia: William ‘Chege’ Ouma
– First derby goal scorer for AFC: Henry Misango
– First player to get a brace in the derby: William ‘Chege’ Ouma
– First Player and only player to score the derby hat-trick : Laban Otieno, 1975 as Gor wins 5-1
– Biggest derby win: 1975 Gor beats Abaluhya 5-1
Top scorers in the derby:
- Sammy Onyango ‘Jogoo’ and Dan Sserunkuma – 6 goals
- Wilberforce Mulamba – 4 goals
10 Players to have scored braces in the derby:
- William ‘Chege’ Ouma – Gor Mahia
- David Asibwa – Abaluhya
- J.J Masiga – AFC Leopards
- Wilberforce Mulamba – AFC Leopards
- Sammy Onyango ‘Jogoo’
- Abass Khamis Magongo – Gor Mahia
- Dan Musuku – AFC Leopards
- Hezron Osuka – Gor Mahia
- Francis Xavier – AFC Leopards
- Danny Sserunkuma – Gor Mahia
– Only player to have scored a brace twice: Danny Sserunkuma – Gor Mahia
Players to have scored in 3 consecutive derbies:
- Abdul Baraza
- Dan Sserunkuma
- Meddie Kagere
Players to have scored for both teams in the derby:
- David Deo Odhiambo
- Demonde Selenga
Match tickets will be sold on Saturday around the stadium among other points including Kenya Cinema with the VIP going for Ksh. 500 and Russia Ksh. 200.
Do you have a story you want told? Do you know of a sensitive story you would like us to get our hands on? Email your news TIPS to firstname.lastname@example.org