Last year, Safaricom drove numerous campaigns to mobilize its users to stay alert in case fraudsters tried to register their phone numbers using their identification documents illegally.
Safaricom developed a system that would alert users whenever a user tried to register a new phone number using their personal details.
The telco has now taken the drive a notch higher, allowing subscribers to check whether they are registered to more than one phone number.
- Dial *106# on your Safaricom mobile phone
- From the list, select “Check registered numbers”
- Safaricom will display and send you an SMS with phone numbers registered using your identification.
- The next prompt will allow you to report the unrecognized number.
- Safaricom will send you a confirmation that the number will be investigated within six hours.
- In case you recognize the number or have requested for cancellation by mistake, you can still reverse the investigation request within the six hour period.