Applying for the new e-passport in Kenya was digitized in 2017 by the Kenya Migration Department thus manual travel documents replaced.
The deadline for the application of the new passports was August 31, 2019, with those who bore the old ones expected to renew. It was, however, extended to March 1, 2020.
The digitized procedure requires one to log into the eCitizen portal, they must have an internet connection.
For an individual with no account with the Immigration Service Department, you are expected to register first.
STEPS FOR APPLICATION.
- Register on www.ecitizen.go.ke
- Go to immigration.ecitizen.go.ke and or Department of immigration services and click on the Passport Application form.
- Read the instructions carefully then fill the application form.
- Select the mode of payment and pay for the passport fees.
- Download and print the application form and three application receipts.
- Submit the application form in person to the Immigration offices. (Nyayo House, Mombasa & Kisumu.)
REQUIREMENTS DURING SUBMISSION.
- An eCitizen pre-filled passport application form and three receipts.
- Original birth certificate and photocopy.
- Original National ID Card & copy.
- Three Current passport size photos.
- Recommender’s ID Card copy.
- Consent letter for minors.
- Old passport for replacement.
- Parents’ National ID cards and copy.
The process takes approximately 10-15 days for processing although it might take longer in some instances.