Embu Governor, Martin Wambora has lost his seat after a court declared his August 8 win null and void.
Justice William Musyoka ruled that irregularities in the contest undermined the electoral process.
The judge had in January ordered for a vote recount of a section of votes used during the election. He also said that the petitioner, Lenny Kivuti had proved beyond reasonable doubt that there were errors in the tallying exercise.
At Gategi Primary School polling centre stream one in Mbeere South constituency, for instance, Mr Wambora had been erroneously been awarded 400 votes, the judge noted.
“The IEBC officials attributed the anomaly to fatigue, saying they handled a total of six elections on August 8, and the gubernatorial votes were the last to be counted. Guided on the law on recount and scrutiny, in cases where the margin is very close… it is my finding that there is sufficient basis for recount,” Mr Musyoka said.
He becomes the third county boss to lose a petition after Homa Bay’s Cyprian Awiti.
Do you have a story you want told? Do you know of a sensitive story you would like us to get our hands on? Email your news TIPS to firstname.lastname@example.org