Governors have said that their counties have been able to distribute a total of 11,740 bags of maize, 1,500 bags of beans and 8,896 bags of rice to hunger-stricken households
In a statement signed by the Council of Governors (CoG) chairman Wycliffe Oparanya, the county chiefs said that every Kenyan is entitled to have ‘adequate food of acceptable quality and the freedom from hunger.’
“The affected county governments have mobilized water buses to distribute water to residents in the most affected sub counties,” added the statement.
Also procured by the county bosses are 290,518 bales of animal feeds for the affected areas. In addition to that, the CoG affirmed that 241,938 children were immunized.
Read: Sifuna Refutes Launching Paybill Number For Famine Stricken Areas
Oparanya further appreciated the National Government for the “steps being taken to ensure lived are saved in the affected Counties.”
He also called upon the National Government to partner with the various County Government in establishment of long-term investments that will build community resilience in the wake of climate change.
“The National Government in Consultation with County Governments must come up with a lasting solution so that Kenyans don’t suffer,” the statement reads.
On Monday, the national government said there was no cause for alarm over the drought.
Deputy President William Ruto stated Ksh2 billion had been released to avert the situation.
The county government statement comes as ‘too little too late’ to most Kenyans, as several people have been reported dead in Baringo and Turkana counties raising the question where the food has been distributed.
Two more people were reported dead in Baringo due to famine, bringing the number to 17 in the county according to Silale Ward Representative Nelson Lotela.
“I can take the provincial administration to the homesteads of all the people who have succumbed to hunger. Why are they disputing our reports yet we are right? They have even gone to the extent of intimidating us and the local chiefs for giving the reports to the media,” Mr Lotela said.
Senior government officials have been on record claiming that no one has died of hunger, depsite photos of emaciated people in the counties emerging in several media outlets.
Email your news TIPS to firstname.lastname@example.org or WhatsApp +254708677607. You can also find us on Telegram through www.t.me/kahawatungu
One CommentLeave a Reply