A Nairobi Hospital catering staffer has died following a cholera outbreak at the facility.
Reports also indicate that seven other employees have been taken ill.
Following the morning incident, the hospital kitchen has also been shut down.
Speaking to a local daily, a source privy to the goings-on at the facility indicated that the deceased was well on Monday but was sickly this morning.
“As we speak, it has been confirmed. I have just seen him at the morgue and it’s so sad,” the daily quotes the source.
On March 28, the Nairobi county government noted that 14 cholera patients had been admitted to various city hospitals.
Health Chief Officer Washington Makodingo while appearing before county Health Committee said six patients had been treated and discharged at the Pumwani maternity hospital.
Kenyatta National Hospital within the same period also received three suspected cases of cholera from Murang’a and Machakos.
“We urge the city residents to wash their food and cook it properly. They should treat their water. People must observe basic things like washing hands before eating and after visiting the lavatories to prevent,” Makodingo said.
Nairobi County Health director Lucia Kiyo in March asked referral hospitals to reactivate cholera treatment units.