Businessman Abducted At Burma Market By Suspected Police Officers Finally Found In Athi River

39-year-old Michael Mungai, aka Cheupe who was abducted on Monday, May 4, 2020 outside Burma Market by suspected police officers has finally been found in Athi River.

Reports indicated that Mungai went missing following his purported arrest that arose after a dispute with county government officials who intended to use a space meant for emergency parking to set up stalls.

Nation reports that Mungai was bundled into a car by four men who introduced themselves as police officers despite not being in uniform and having the car number plates covered.

This information was however denied by Kamukunji police Adamson Bungei who said that the official report at the station indicated that the trader was missing.

Read: Kiamaiko Rights Activist Michael Njau Reported Missing, Car Abandoned At Githurai Roundabout

“The information we got was that this person said to have been arrested, was not available and did not come back to his house on that particular day Sunday. In the process of our investigations, our officers have been able to trace the person and found him in Athi River,” he said.

Further, Mungai narrated that his abductors castigated him for stopping the project.

Read Also: Dafton Mwitiki Was Under Pressure To Deliver on a Deal Before He Went Missing – Kin

Mungai now asserts that a city politician with an interest in the project is behind his woes adding that he fears for his life.

According to the daily, Mungai was found in a building after members of the public heard distress calls..

The details of the purported arrest came just a day after Kamukunji Deputy County Commissioner Moses Lilan stopped the implementation of a project that led to dispute among traders in the market and the county officials.

Read Also: Steve Mbogo’s Ally Dafton Mwitiki Goes Missing, His Car Found Abandoned Near Recce Squad Headquarters

According to the Deputy County Commissioner, he received a distress call on Sunday from traders who indicated that there was a project being initiated that took up public space.

“When we did our preliminary investigations, we found that being on a Sunday and Burma market being a public facility, the implementation of the project was unprocedural and that is why we instructed our enforcement agencies to stop the project,” Lilan said.

Further, Lilan stated that upon stopping the market project, there was information that one of the market traders had gone missing.

Authorities have stated that investigations into the matter had been launched with the culprits expected to be brought to books.

Email your news TIPS to or WhatsApp +254708677607. You can also find us on Telegram through

Written by Mercy Auma

Passionate about human interest stories and politics. Email

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Eastleigh Residents React To “Lockdown” Order As Roadblocks Are Erected

Non-Teachers Conducting Online Classes are Committing a Crime – PS Belio Kipsang