in

Baringo Chief Reporting On Drought Was Fired Long Time Ago – Matiang’i

CS Dr Fred Matiang'i. [PHOTO/ COURTESY]

A chief who recently gave an update of the drought situation in Baringo is no longer a government official, Interior Cabinet Secretary Dr Fred Matiang’i has said.

Speaking in an interview with Kameme FM on Wednesday, CS Matiang’i stated that the chief was fired long time ago and no longer represented the government in any capacity.

“The chief purporting to report on the drought situation was fired a long time ago, “ he said.

The man identified as Jack Ronei, who had claimed to be Kositei sub-location chief, had reported several deaths linked to hunger in the region.

Local media reports indicate that 20 people have lost their lives due to hunger.

Some of the counties worst hit by the drought include Turkana, Baringo, Marsabit, Makueni and Tana River.

The CS dismissed claims of death reports circulating on mainstream and social media.

“The County Commissioner in Baringo has confirmed that no deaths have been occasioned by current drought situation,” Dr Matiang’i said.

He reassured the country that the government is in charge of the drought situation reported in 13 counties.

Meanwhile, Speaking on Tuesday night on Citizen TV, Devolution CS Eugine Wamalwa affirmed that no lives had been lost.

He said the government has intervened and is making necessary arrangements to contain the situation.

“There is no cause for alarm. There is plenty of food within our borders, ” CS Wamalwa said.

“In our Strategic Food Reserve, we have over 4 million bags of maize. What we are doing is moving food from where there is plenty to where there is less,” he added.

On Monday, Deputy President William Ruto said the government had approved release of Sh2 billion to facilitate mitigation of drought that has affected 13 counties.

Read:Government Releases Sh2 billion To Alleviate Hunger In 13 Counties

“The funds will ensure adequate distribution of food and life-saving aid to needy populations, water trucking and complement first –line intervention by county governments,” DR Ruto said.

The DP acknowledged that a total of 1,111,500 people have been affected.

He affirmed that the government is in control and there is no reason to panic.

“There is no cause for alarm as the situation is not as bad as it was two years ago,” he said.

On his part, National Disaster Management Authority CEO James Oduor, on Monday, accused the media of amplifying the reports and sending the wrong information to the public.

The senate, however, dismissed the reports and has called for immediate declaration of the famine in the affected counties a national disaster.

The lawmakers also want quick deployment of the military to save lives in Turkana and Baringo counties.

Email your news TIPS to news@kahawatungu.com or WhatsApp +254708677607. You can also find us on Telegram through www.t.me/kahawatungu

Wycliffe

Written by Wycliffe

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Loading…

0

Comments

0 comments

street couple

Famous Street Couple Forced Out Of Home, Back On The Streets

Senators

Senators Want State To Declare Hunger A National Disaster