Only three Matatus per Sacco will be allowed into the Central Business District of Nairobi according to the latest agreement between Nairobi governor Mike Sonko and the Association of Matatu Operators
The chairman Mr. Jimal Ibrahim, said that they met with the Governor and agreed to have three Matatus per Sacco to ease congestion within the city.
“The Governor called the meeting at 5.am today…We have agreed that only 3 vehicles will be entering the CBD per Sacco for example if its Embassava 3 vehicles, it wont be like in the past when all vehicles used to enter the city,” he said.
He said that the stakeholders that met were from various sectors and they also discussed on model that would decongest the city since the Saccos that are allowed to enter the city increased from 6 to 200. He also disclosed that some youth will help in de congesting Nairobi
“What I can tell the people of Nairobi is that soon we are leaving the CBD, they should be prepared. We have formed a committee to decongest Nairobi, by Tuesday you will see the youth who will help us control traffic congestion,” he said.
The transport stakeholders also asked that traffic police be removed from the CBD , they claimed that the officers were sabotaging transport operations as they engaged in corruption.
The meeting happened at 5 AM before the governor announced that the CBD ban had been lifted.
Do you have a story you want told? Do you know of a sensitive story you would like us to get our hands on? Email your news TIPS to [email protected] Also WhatsApp 0708677607 with your news tips