The Federation of Public Transport Operators has called off the matatu strike that started on Monday following the re-introduction of Michuki Rules.
This was after a successful meeting with Interior Principal Secretary Karanja Kibicho and his Transport counterpart Esther Koimett at Harambee House.
The federation’s chair, Edwin Mukabana has called their troops to order and has apologized to their customers who have been stranded for the better part of the day.
“We are glad to have had this meeting and have listened to what we have discussed. I apologise to our passengers and we will be back on the road,” Mr Mukabana said.
He also asked all their members who have complied with the regulations to return their vehicles on the roads.
“We request our people who have complied to return their vehicles to the road. We will bring all issues to the government table for negotiations,” he added.
PS Kibicho on his part said that they will clean up the cartels including unfair transportation players such as proboxes.
Earlier on in the day, CS Fred Matiang’i and James Macharia told off matatu owners who withdrew their vehicles from the road. The PSV owners also risked losing their licenses.
Do you have a story you want told? Do you know of a sensitive story you would like us to get our hands on? Email your news TIPS to [email protected] Also WhatsApp 0708677607 with your news tips