SONY just unveiled the much leaked, rumoured and reviewed-without-being-seen PSP2. It very much confirms that the leaks were not far away from the real product.
The PSP2 comes with many features including the touch sensitive back panel, a high-resolution and touch-sensitive OLED screen larger than the original PSP screen, Six-axis motion sensing system, dual analog sticks, front and back-facing cameras and 3G capabilities for WLAN.
Sony says that the new PlayStation Portable is almost as powerful as a PlayStation 3. It runs on ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core) CPU and SGX543MP4+ GPU
Sony still calls PSP2 as Next Generation Portable or NGP.
The Full Specs
- CPU: ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)
- GPU: SGX543MP4+
- Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
- Rear touch pad: Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
- Cameras: Front camera, Rear camera
- Sound: Built-in stereo speakers and microphone
- Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
- Location: Built-in GPS, Wi-Fi location service support
- Keys / Switches: PS button, Power button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Shoulder buttons (Right/Left), Right stick, Left stick, START button, SELECT button, Volume buttons
- Wireless communications: Mobile network connectivity (3G), IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1×1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode), Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR （A2DP/AVRCP/HSP）
The new PlayStation Portable will also play PS1 games supported by its PlayStation Suite platform and will be backwards compatible with downloadable PSP games.