President Uhuru has defended the Huduma Number registration stating that so far 11 million Kenyans had been registered.
He also dispelled rumors that the system had data breaches saying that National Integrated Identity Management System guards the integrity of government’s data better than the manual system.
The President said that the process will run through out the Easter break as the officials will still be available for registration.
On Thursday, Statehouse rubbished media reports that arose from the communications authority director general Francis Wangusi stating that those who will not have registered for the Huduma Number would have their sim cards switched off.
“For the avoidance of doubt, Huduma Number Registration is a voluntary exercise in compliance with the ruling of the courts. There is no directive from the Government to institute any punitive measures against those who don’t register. More emphasis will be laid on civic education,” State House chief of Staff Nzioka Waita said